Join Terri Urban as she seeks to lose up to 40 pounds and build houses for homeless families in Haiti. Will you sponsor me at $1 a pound? Every dollar goes to Heartline Ministries in Haiti.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Why it's time to lose weight RIGHT NOW!

Come September, my husband Ralph and I will have been married for 20 years. Anniversaries are milestones, and milestones cause me to reflect. I know I weighed 128 pounds on my wedding day, and was 27 years old. And I was not super skinny at that weight. I'm 5 foot 3inches with a small frame. Well, I am embarrassed to admit I've gained over 50 pounds in those 20 years and it's time for them to go.

Oh I have excuses. Really valid excuses, in some cases...like a medicine I took for two months that made me gain 30 pounds. Question: Why can't there be a medicine that makes you lose 30 pounds in 2 months? My very wonderful physician, (who I'm hoping will sponsor me so I will mention again how totally awesome Dr. Reeves Bower is) will vouch that I have issues with my under-active thyroid that cause weight gain. But still, enough excuses already.

Truth is, I hate to exercise. Always have. But I've come to the brilliant conclusion that there is no way to age in a healthy way without exercising. My diet has been the typical American diet that we are constantly reading is bad for us. Too much sugar, too much white flour, too much meat, too much fat, and too few vegetables. I plead guilty, on all counts.

This is how I know it is really time to do something: I've started hiding behind my children in photographs! Let somebody pull out a camera, and I'll look to see how I can hide in the back row. So people will say, "Look at that adorable little girl, what a beauty," instead of "Wow, the mom has sure gained a few pounds."

Today I swam and walked over a mile and half. Game on! Let's build some houses, people. Give now, or give later, but let's get some families in Haiti out from under the improvised bed-sheet-shelters they are living in and into some real houses.

No comments:

Post a Comment