Join Terri Urban as she seeks to lose up to 40 pounds and build houses for homeless families in Haiti. Will you sponsor me at $1 a pound? Every dollar goes to Heartline Ministries in Haiti.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

What is going on?

Did you ever find anything so fascinating and frustrating that you just couldn't stay uninvolved? That's how I feel about Haiti.

After the January 12 earthquake, many people gave generously to help the Haitian people recover. But after months and months of relief work, why are millions of people still living in tents and under tarps in teaming, muddy camps of homeless people?

Because the government of Haiti and the large non-profit organizations won't work together -- over seven months have passed and yet they stand around pointing fingers at each other. Meanwhile, Haitian parents have to stand up all night, holding their children in their arms as they try to keep the kids asleep off the muddy ground and out of the rivers of dirty water running through the tent camps. I want to help end this all-too-real nightmare for Haitian families, and here is how!

Heartline Ministries, a Christian 501c3 organization with over 20 years of working in Haiti, is getting things done. HEARTLINE is building homes for Haitian families who desperately need them.

The 15-year-old daughter of Heartline's employees raised over $50,000 by running a half marathon for Haiti. With the money that Paige Porter Livesay raised, Heartline is building 42 houses. This is my effort to raise $10,000 by losing weight, getting in shape, and having my friends and loved ones sponsor me at $1 a pound or more. If you will help me, that money will build eight houses for homeless families in Haiti. Heartline Ministries will oversee the building of the houses. Pictured at the top of my blog is a house Heartline constructed just a few week ago--it's done now and the family living in it is thriving. You can read all about Heartline Ministries and the houses they are building by following the links on the right side of this blog near the top. I plan on journeying to Haiti in a few months to see the houses we will build together. Will you help a family in Haiti build a house?

I'll announce on this blog each time I lose another 10 pounds and it will be time for you, the readers, to donate through the Chip In Meter. Between August 1 and November 1 I hope to lose up to 40 pounds. It will help me to diet and exercise, knowing for every pound I lose, more money will be raised for homes for Haitian families. I would appreciate your sponsorship and your prayers. Maxima SA, a Haitian building company, is donating one house to Heartline for every house we are able to fund through this effort. So for $2,500 (the price of one house) two families will have a safe, earthquake and hurricane resistant homes to live in. You can see the Haitian-style houses by following the Maxima link.

Let's build some houses! I already have my first sponsor at $2 a pound. To sponsor me through the Chip In meter, you must have a Paypal account. If you want to write a check, make it out to Heartline Ministries, write Pound4pound on the memo line (That's important!) and send the check to Heartline Ministries, PO Box 898 Sunnyside WA 98944.

No comments:

Post a Comment