Join Terri Urban as she seeks to lose up to 40 pounds and build houses for homeless families in Haiti. Will you sponsor me at $1 a pound? Every dollar goes to Heartline Ministries in Haiti.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Quick Diet Update

Thanks for the inquiries on the progress of the diet. It's working and I'm workin' it.

I think the smartest thing I have done so far was buy an improved super-accurate scale. When I started the diet, I had an old scale that would say something different every time I stepped on it--even if the two weigh-ins were only 30 seconds apart.

So depressing to step on the scale and think, "Yeah! I've lost three pounds! Wait a minute, no I didn't. Yes, I did. Nope, not now." I found a great ACCURATE scale on Amazon.com and it was very reasonably priced--actually lower in price than the ones I saw at Target. This scale measures in increments up to 1/10 of a pound. Really, every day I stick to the diet, I see the scale go down a fraction. (Email me if you want the specifics on the model number. I'm not being paid for advertising, but I'll share if you really want to know!) What you want more than anything when you are dieting is assurance YOU ARE MAKING PROGRESS--that you aren't depriving yourself for nothing. And it's working! I'm encouraged.

What diet am I using? The Sonoma Diet--which is basically very low sugar, very low in white flour, lots of veggies, and all the common-sense stuff we all know. High fiber to fill you up. Low fats and vegetable fats like olive oil instead of animal fats. Lots of lean protein.

We do eat waaaay to much sugar in this country and it's hidden in all sorts of foods where you wouldn't expect it. Yesterday at Costco, I sampled some four-bean salad. Sounds very healthy, right? Ingredients: green beans, white beans, red beans, chic peas and 15 grams of sugar per serving. That's as much sugar as a serving of ice cream. Being off sugar for a while really sensitizes your body to tasting the sugar when it appears. And quite frankly, I don't need so much sugar in my green beans.

So, if you haven't sent in or chipped in your pledge for the first ten pounds lost, let this serve as a gentle reminder. If things continue on this course, I'll embrace the nickname "The Incredible Shrinking Woman."

No comments:

Post a Comment