Join Terri Urban as she seeks to lose up to 40 pounds and build houses for homeless families in Haiti. Will you sponsor me at $1 a pound? Every dollar goes to Heartline Ministries in Haiti.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Good News / Bad News

Take a look at the blue graph, baby! The blue bar has moved big time, thanks to you many generous donors. (It's on the far right side of the blog page.)

This isn't the final number. A few checks are still coming in. The bookkeeper can't come up with a final number yet, but we are finally able to say YES, WE HAVE ENOUGH TO BUILD A HOUSE (or two) IN HAITI. Wahoo!

So that's the good news. The bad news: just about everything else. Hurricane Tomas, is as this moment, pounding Haiti. I can only imagine what the horrible results will be for the people in the tent camps. Cholera is spreading in Haiti, and this new flooding will only make it worse.

At this moment, no airplanes are landing in Haiti--the airport in Port au Prince is closed. I am scheduled to leave DIA this afternoon (Friday) and fly to Florida. Our little mission trip group of five people was supposed to board a plane early Saturday morning to fly into Haiti. The ministry we are serving is right in Port au Prince, sbout 15 minutes from the airport, so if they let planes land at the airport, we will be able to get to our destination. We have potential to be one of the first planes to land after the storm lets up.

If the airport remains closed into Saturday morning, we will have to be re-booked on new flights into Haiti. We may be cooling our heels in Florida for a day or two. I pray we make it, and don't end up having to turn around come back to Colorado.

I hate all the uncertainty. Let me categorically state, I am bad at uncertainty. But these events are completely out of my hands. So please pray for me to accept whatever happens without getting emotionally bent out of shape. May God's will be done.

And to keep track of me from now on, you are going to need to check my blog. I've been emailing about 75 people directly with my blog, but I can not do that while in Haiti. The responsibility is now on you. If you want to know what I am in doing, where I am, and if we make it to Haiti you will have to check my blog. Go to Pound4pound4Haiti.blogspot.com

The leader of the trip has an Iphone, so I hope to be able to update my blog from Haiti. I will try very hard to do so. I have no idea what internet access will be like after this storm.

It is still very possible to donate to this effort to build houses in Haiti if you are moved to do so. Please make the checks out to Heartline Ministries. You can find out more about Heartline by clicking on the link on the right side of the blog. They are a fabulous non-profit that has been in Haiti for over 20 years. Send checks to: Heartline Ministries
(ATTN. Pound4Pound Housing Fund)
P.O. Box 898
Sunnyside, WA 98944


I am trying to raise the money to build at least four houses in Haiti. Be sure to write Pound4pound on the memo line so the bookkeper will know to dedicate your donation to this house-building project.

OK, I'm off! Stay tuned and pray!

No comments:

Post a Comment